Great Expectations

A fresh blog by Patrick! This blog will be more about me and less about Nintendo.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

I'm just your average teen some would say. Though I don't really think so. You decide what you want about me, good, or bad.

Friday, June 23, 2006

iTunes = Bad?

No. Way. Apple = Mac = better than your mom!

But it's true actually! At least if it decided you're the lucky user that gets to lose their CD/DVD Drives. Like me! Yes, the problem is I didn't have a clue what the heck caused me to lose my drives, all I knew is that Windows Defender was yelling at me to restart, which I naturally put off, and when I did my drives were gone, even my Deamon Tools Virtual Drives wouldn't work.

Anyway, After Googling the entire error code I found this page:
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/35761/

How to fix error (code 41) after installing iTunes:
(NOTE: I don't offer troubleshooting for this as I don't know why it works.... If it breaks more don't blame me!)

Start > Run > Registry Editor (regedit)

Search for:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

or just navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

IMPORTANT:
At this point, click on the folder in the left window and then back it up (File > Export) incase something bad happens.


Next, select both (ctrl + click) UpperFilters and LowerFilters.
Right click them, click delete, then click OK.

Finally go to the divice manager and uninstall the drives and reboot.

Note: I can't say this will work, and if it makes things worse, you'll probably be able to return things to the way they were by importing that backup (.reg) you made.


Alternately you can try:
I've heard that simply uninstalling iTunes and then reinstalling it works too, but I dunno about that.


My Advice, if you haven't installed iTunes, don't if you don't have to. Instead just get JetAudio!

Chao!